About Me I am a retired librarian and I now support books and authors through my reviews.

I have always loved to read and I was able to share that love through my work as a public librarian for 22 1/2 years. I now promote literacy by reading, and then writing reviews. I love to support authors by sharing my reviews with others!

Thursday, August 30, 2018

My Thoughts on Darkwater Secrets

Darkwater Secrets is the first book in a new series that revolves around the Darkwater Inn in New Orleans and it involves a murder that is committed at this well known inn during Mardi Gras. As the murder investigation gets underway we learn about the sometimes dark events that often occur during this famous carnival season. Voodoo, prostitution, sexual immorality, and a past sexual assault are all mentioned but author Robin Caroll writes wonderful Christian fiction so her plotline is never offensive. She subtly reminds us that humans are fallible and prone to sin but there is always a chance for redemption through the Grace that God offers all of us.

Darkwater Secrets has some wonderful characters but they all have secrets. Many of them also believe in God but they don't always follow Him. As Adelaide Fountaine reveals the secret that she has hidden for many years, she questions where God was during her assault. "I cried out to God to make him stop. I begged God to intervene, but guess what? He was silent. I'd been taught that God would never leave me, but he did. That night in Brayden/Kevin's car, God left me alone." (page 68).

This is just one example of the author's talent in writing believable but complex characters and dialogue! Adelaide's childhood friend Beau is now the detective investigating the murder, Adelaide and her co-worker Dimitri are both suspects and both men harbor secret feelings for this special young woman. Still more secrets to reveal!

This is a well-written mystery with a romantic triangle that will hopefully be further explored in the next book in the Darkwater Inn series. I recommend Darkwater Secrets to anyone who enjoys Christian romance and mystery/suspense.

I received a copy of this book through Just Read Tours. The opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment