About Me I am a retired librarian and I now support books and authors through my reviews.

I have always loved to read and I was able to share that love through my work as a public librarian for 22 1/2 years. I now promote literacy by reading, and then writing reviews. I love to support authors by sharing my reviews with others!

Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Christmas PrayerThe Christmas Prayer by Wanda E. Brunstetter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wanda E. Brunstetter is the author of almost 90 books and most of them are stories about the Amish people and their lifestyle but this book is actually a historical fiction novella. I am a fan of historical fiction so this story of traveling west by wagon train in the months before Christmas was especially appealing to me. Cynthia Cooper, her mother and her fiance Walter Prentice leave Independence, Missouri in April 1850 to make a new home in California. The Christmas Prayer soon becomes the tale of a young girl with the classic romantic twist: she is engaged to an older man but realizes that she has more in common with two younger men who are also traveling west in the same wagon train. Several unexpected events cause the wagon train to be delayed in reaching its destination when originally planned and a severe winter storm adds to the dangers of traveling in this unknown territory inhabited by native Americans. These circumstances create many times when a Higher Power is needed for both strength and guidance and Cynthia relies on prayer to help them. In the diary that she uses to record her thoughts she often shares these prayers and in the last entry she offers this prayer of thanks. "Thank you, Lord, for answering my prayers--not just at Christmas, but every day of the year".

This novella is an entertaining story filled with faith, adventure and the pioneer spirit that was the foundation of our great country. There is also a sweet love story that is suitable for both teens and adults to read. I truly enjoyed The Christmas Prayer and I recommend it for anyone wanting a quick, enjoyable holiday story. Its beautiful cover also makes it the perfect gift for the readers that may be on your Christmas list!

I received a copy of this book from the author/publisher but I was not required to write a positive review. This is my honest opinion.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment