About Me I am a retired librarian and I now support books and authors through my reviews.

I have always loved to read and I was able to share that love through my work as a public librarian for 22 1/2 years. I now promote literacy by reading, and then writing reviews. I love to support authors by sharing my reviews with others!

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

The Two-Cent Piece (In God We Trust, #1) by Dennis Conrad





Book Details:

Book TitleThe Two-Cent Piece  (In God We Trust Series) by Dennis Conrad 
Category:  Children's Fiction (Ages 5-9),  52 pages
Genre:  Christian Children's Picture Book
Publisher:  Elk Lake Publishing, Inc.
Release date:   September, 2022
Content Rating:  G. This book is for children. There are Bible verses. There is no offensive language.
Book Description:

Anne wonders what secret her three older brothers are hiding. When she finds out they joined to fight with the Union Army and would leave the next day, she gives them each one of her favorite two-cent pieces and says, “I want you to take one of my new two-cent pieces. I learned these coins are the first to have the words ‘In God We Trust.’ I just memorized Psalm 91:2. ‘I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.’”

Out of a heart of love, Anne gives six of her special coins away hoping the message on the two-cent pieces will strengthen each person’s faith.
Buy the Book
Amazon ~ B&N
add to goodreads

MY THOUGHTS.....

Who says an adult can't enjoy a book for young people? I was captivated by this book from the first beautifully illustrated page! A little girl, a general store, the helpful storekeeper, and big jars of hard candy lined up on the counter are the perfect introduction to this story about a seven-year-old girl and her new two-cent coins. I loved learning the history behind these special coins and there's also a wonderful faith message woven into this sweet tale of little Anne watching her older brothers go off to fight in the Civil War. Can her willingness to share her coins with them be enough to bring them home safely? Will the words "In God We Trust" offer them the faith, strength, and encouragement that they need?

The Two-Cent Piece is the first book in Dennis Conrad's "In God We Trust" series and it's a book that can be enjoyed by all ages. The text targets beginning or more advanced readers but younger children will love it also. The illustrations by talented artist Courtney Smith add the perfect touch and reading it as a family offers the perfect opportunity to discuss coin collecting, the Civil War, and the important role that faith and belief in God have played in our country's history. Conrad understands what children enjoy and he's created a series that entertains, educates, and inspires them. I look forward to more books in the 'In God We Trust' series!

I voluntarily accepted a copy of this book from the author via iRead Book Tours. There was no obligation for a positive review.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Meet the Author:

A former coin collector for over fifty years, Dennis combines his love for the Bible, children’s literature, and sharing stories about the history behind coins.

Dennis retired as a professor of speech communications from Barstow Community College. He and his wife served as English and public speaking teachers ten summers overseas.

Dennis became a sustaining member of the Numismatic Association of Southern California in 1979. He is also a life member of the American Numismatic Association.

Dennis is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators and a Fellow of the National Writing Project.

connect with the authors: website facebook ~ goodreads

GIVEAWAY
Win $100 Amazon gift card and author-signed copies of Marcus and the Emperor's Coin and The Two-Cent Piece (one winner - USA only) (ends Mar 1)

Enter the Giveaway:

IN GOD WE TRUST SEries Book Tour Giveaway


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something I’d like to share with my kids!

    ReplyDelete