About Me I am a retired librarian and I now support books and authors through my reviews.

I have always loved to read and I was able to share that love through my work as a public librarian for 22 1/2 years. I now promote literacy by reading, and then writing reviews. I love to support authors by sharing my reviews with others!

Friday, February 23, 2024

Timeless Truths Bible: One faith. Handed down. For all the saints. by Thomas Nelson


ABOUT THE BOOK

Be anchored in the faith “once for all entrusted to the saints” (Jude v. 3) with timeless wisdom shared from church history.

The Christian faith is founded upon unchanging, timeless truth. From the days of the early church until the day of Christ’s return, all of Christianity proclaims that “Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:11). This is our unchanging and unceasing confession upon which all our hope and all our joy rests.

The Timeless Truths Bible will encourage you through the always timely wisdom of those who came before us. Devotional notes and commentary from trusted theologians and pastors from the second century up to the twentieth will stir your affections. The ancient creeds and confessions of the faith will grow your understanding of what we believe—and have always believed. And artwork created throughout the history of Christianity will deepen your worship of the one we call Lord.

Features include:                                                                       

The complete text of Scripture in the New English Translation
Margin notes featuring devotional and theological commentary from notable figures throughout church history including Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, Origen, John Wesley, Charles Spurgeon, John Bunyan, and John Calvin.
Forty-six full-page biographies of church leaders
The complete text of some of the creeds and confessions of the Christian faith that have shaped our beliefs for generations, including:
The Apostles' Creed
The Nicene Creed
The Chalcedonian Definition
The Athanasian Creed
The Augsburg Confession
The Belgic Confession
The Westminster Catechism
The Lausanne Covenant


Book introductions for every book of the Bible
Full-color tip-in pages of artwork from the history of Christianity
Line-matched, single-column typesetting
Clear and readable 9-point NET Comfort Print




MY THOUGHTS.....






This New English Translation is a balance between a strict word-for-word translation and a paraphrased translation.


This Timeless Truths Bible is written in the New English Translation, so I found it very easy to understand. The font isn't overly large, but I like that the single-column layout and the wide margins offer me ample space for making notes. I appreciate the beautiful artwork and the List of Sacred Artwork that identifies them, and I also like the biographies of 46 key people in Christianity. Some I knew, but many are unfamiliar! There is also a section on Creeds, so I have another learning opportunity here! It follows the regular format of the Old and New Testaments and each of the 66 books has an introduction showing the Author, Audience, Date, Purpose, & Themes. More insights that I may have missed before!






16 beautiful full page paintings and a list of the artists who painted them!












It is imperative to know and understand the basis of our beliefs. 
This Bible shares the wisdom of those who came before us!





There are many positive aspects, but I found two that aren't: it's sometimes hard to navigate because there's no general index, and I'm used to seeing the words of Jesus denoted in red ink. 

The Timeless Truths Bible by Thomas Nelson focuses on the faith values that have been passed down through generations, so it truly does offer timeless truths. I'm happy to add it to my home library and I consider it a valuable resource to use during my devotion time. It is a great reference Bible!

I received a copy of this Bible for review from FrontGate Media. There was no expectation for a favorable review.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars


ABOUT THE GENERAL EDITOR

Matthew Z. Capps is the Senior Pastor of Fairview Baptist Church in Apex, NC, and general editor of the Timeless Truths Bible. Matt earned his B.A. at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, an M.Div. with Biblical Languages at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, a D.Min. in pastoral theology at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, and is a Ph.D. candidate at Ridley College (Melbourne). Matt and his wife Laura have three children.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment