About Me I am a retired librarian and I now support books and authors through my reviews.

I have always loved to read and I was able to share that love through my work as a public librarian for 22 1/2 years. I now promote literacy by reading, and then writing reviews. I love to support authors by sharing my reviews with others!

Friday, April 19, 2019

Good Friday? You Bet It Was!



As a child in Sunday school I loved to hear about Palm Sunday. My teachers would share the story and they often had pictures of Jesus riding on a donkey and crowds of people lined up to see him. They were so excited to see this man called Jesus as they threw the green palm branches on the road as he rode by. As I continued to go to Sunday school and learn more about the events of the week that was to come, I couldn't understand why the Friday was called Good. Because I had seen the pictures of Jesus carrying that huge wooden cross through the streets...hanging on that cross...nails in his hands and feet and a crown of thorns showing on his head. Blood streaming down his face and blood on his hands and feet. Jesus's head hanging down. Even as a six year old child I could see that He died a horrible death. How could this be a good day, a Good Friday?

Many, many years have passed and I can still visualize those pictures from my Sunday school class but others have been added to my memory. A picture of a huge stone that no longer covered a tomb. The women who went to care for Jesus's body “found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus” (Luke 24:2–3).

Two angels reminded the women that Jesus had said that he wouldn't remain in that grave.  And finally, a picture of Mary weeping by the tomb. "At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?”Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.” Jesus said to her, “Mary.” (John 20:14-16)

It was then that she knew! Up from the grave He arose. God's Plan had been fulfilled. Resurrection Sunday had arrived and all of mankind would benefit from that incident on Good Friday.

Easter is never mentioned in Bible scripture and many people prefer to call this special day Resurrection Sunday. I don't think that it matters. The important thing is that Jesus Christ is alive and we can enjoy eternal life because of that Good Friday and that Resurrection morning!

God's love and Christ's obedience have made it all possible and in the words from songwriter George Clinton

He's alive, yes He's alive
 Yes He's alive and I'm forgiven
Heaven's gates are open wide

Good Friday? You bet it was! You bet it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment