About Me I am a retired librarian and I now support books and authors through my reviews.

I have always loved to read and I was able to share that love through my work as a public librarian for 22 1/2 years. I now promote literacy by reading, and then writing reviews. I love to support authors by sharing my reviews with others!

Monday, April 29, 2019

When He Found Me by Victoria Bylin

When He Found Me (Road to Refuge #1)ABOUT THE BOOK

Love Discovered . . . Hope Renewed

Once a strong Christian, third baseman Shane Riley lost his faith the night he injured his knee in a freak car accident. Determined to return to professional baseball and to find the sister he treated badly, Shane retreats to Refuge, Wyoming. There he meets Melissa June “MJ” Townsend, a single mom battling the virus that causes cervical cancer. 

MJ wants nothing to do with the handsome athlete—no doubt a womanizer considering the stories in the news. But when a mistake results in Shane renting her garage apartment, they become friends. That friendship blossoms into something deep and pure, leaving MJ with a painful secret to tell. Even more complicated, she discovers an unexpected tie to Shane’s missing sister—a wounded woman who wants nothing to do with the perfect brother who scorned her. 


MY THOUGHTS..... When He Found Me by Victoria Bylin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There are many sensitive subjects mentioned in When He Found Me and this certainly can't be labeled as chicklit but it is a story that will touch your heart and remain in your memory. Shane Riley and Melissa June "MJ" Townsend have both suffered deep hurts and they both feel like they have failed. Shane's successful career as a baseball player has been cut short by an injury, he's lost touch with his younger sister Daisy and he has basically turned his back on God; MJ is struggling to make ends meet while she raises her son alone, her relationship with her mother is very strained and, to top it all off, MJ knows that she has a virus that could cause her to develop cervical cancer. They are two people in need of a friend but what are the odds that their chance encounter in an laundromat could develop into friendship or that this friendship could deepen into something else?

"MJ" and Shane have a great story to tell but there are actually four points of view shared in When He Found Me. The thoughts of MJ's mother Olivia and Shane's sister Daisy are also shown throughout this book and I was especially drawn to Daisy. We learn the hard life that Daisy has experienced and we watch her change; I fully sensed her doubts and I was overjoyed with her conversion.

When He Found Me features faith and hope; estrangement and reconciliation; and many kinds of love. There is romantic love, love of family and love for our fellow man. There is also the reminder that the ultimate, most complete love comes from God and that forgiveness is available for all who seek Him. One of my favorite lines sums it up:

"Father God, you know everything about us, yet you love us just as we are..."

When He Found Me is a beautiful story with wonderful, multifaceted characters, faith and the promise of redemption. As I read it I realized that the title applies to more than just one human finding another! I highly recommend this book and I look forward to reading what Victoria Bylin has for the next book in the Road to Refuge series!

I received a digital copy of this book and I voluntarily chose to share my review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment